Monday, February 18, 2008

Don't Look Back!

Luk 9:61-62 ESV
(61) Yet another said, "I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home."
(62) Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."


This passage also reminds me of:

2Pe 2:20-22 ESV
(20) For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.
(21) For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them.
(22) What the true proverb says has happened to them: "The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire."


As I read this, I can't help but think of how I am tempted by my past life. There are times when I still want to look at women online. There are times when I want to eat just for the sake of eating. There are times when I don't feel like getting out of bed to exercise. There are times when I want to use the coarse language of my past.

These passages tell me that I had better not look back. Lot's wife turned into a pillar of salt. Whether you take that literally or figuratively I think it's pretty clear that looking back was not a good idea. I want to keep pressing on toward the goal.

So back to the plow...

No comments: