Saturday, May 24, 2008

Perspicuity

We discussed this important doctrine last night. I still have questions that can't be answered though. We agreed that Scripture interpretation must be done within the framework of the body of Christ. However, which parts of the body do we look to for understanding?

For example, I tend to favor what John Piper or D.A. Carson say about something. Someone else may like the open theism of Greg Boyd or Clark Pinnock. If we agree that we're all believers (though that is debatable) then how do we decide who to trust?

I couldn't get a clear answer from my professor on this one. I apologized to my classmates for the rabbit trail, but they thought it was a discussion worth having.

I'm not about to go down the road of Roman Catholicism, but I can see its appeal. Why worry myself about this when I have the church to interpret Scripture for me? Unfortunately, the biblical call is to the contrary, I think.

No comments: