Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wisdom and Prophecy

We talked about these genres last night. My professor couldn't believe he was saying it, but he made the point that we need to do some personal interpretations of Proverbs. It is OK to ask, "what does this mean for me?" when looking at the pithy sayings of Proverbs from chapter 10 on. There is very little context for them and they really do stand alone. This is one of the personal problems I've had with reading through this book. There is so much to chew on that I tend not to absorb much.

We also talked about prophecy, which is a very difficult interpretive subject. The main thing I got from that discussion is that we don't necessarily need to worry about every detail. For example, we don't have to identify every eye and horn in the book of Daniel.

Again, God gave us a text to reveal Himself to us. Let's not read it through the lens of the newspaper or through the Left Behind books.

No comments: