Thursday, May 08, 2008

Unity

There are some who would say that as a church there should be unity despite differences. In other words, we should look past a lot of things and just all get along. However, I'm not sure that Paul would say that:

1 Corinthians 11:18-19 ESV
(18) For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you. And I believe it in part,
(19) for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized.


It looks to me like the differences are what make us distinct. Obviously we must have charity over the non-essentials, but we also must recognize that if we disagree we can't both be right.

By the way, if you ever wanted to memorize a chapter of Scripture let me suggest Psalm 117.

No comments: