Wednesday, May 07, 2008

When Calvinism Fails

As I wrote last night's post I thought that in the spirit of irenic blogging I should write one about the problems with Calvinism. I am thoroughly convinced of the truth of God's sovereignty in election, but I also see some negative side-effects from it.

One of the mentors in my group pointed out that many Calvinists tend to be mean men. I couldn't argue with that at all. I think that we tend to be more interested in doctrine than in Christian living. I think that we tend to take the security of the believer to a wrong extreme. We need to instead focus on the fact that works follow genuine salvation.

I also realize that there are tensions in Calvinism. However, I think that they are more reconcilable than those in Arminianism. Thoughts?

No comments: