Saturday, May 10, 2008

THE Psalm

As you may recall, I'm following the ESV Reading Plan this year. I'll be camped out in Psalm 119 for the rest of the month. I love this Psalm because it reminds me over and over again just how precious God's Word really is. Check this out:

Psalms 119:1-8 ESV
(1) Aleph. Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD!
(2) Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart,
(3) who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways!
(4) You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.
(5) Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!
(6) Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
(7) I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous rules.
(8) I will keep your statutes; do not utterly forsake me!

I don't know about you, but that sure makes me want to know His precepts and to walk in them. Note verse 2. We can't just fool around with reading the Bible and giving a half-hearted only mental assent to pursuing God's Word. We need to seek the Lord with all our hearts.

I don't think I'm doing that. Are you?

1 comment:

Prodigal Jon said...

Thanks for the comment on Stuff Christians Like today. Although I do jest, I too see how we pick and choose at the Bible as a very serious issue. It's one that I hope my post can help expose, not necessarily fix, but at least expose.
Jon