Monday, March 16, 2009

A Celebration

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
(13) But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.
(14) For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.


I occasionally contemplate my own funeral. I've already told some of my relatives that I don't want a lot of crying at it if I should die before they do. I guess I'd like to be missed, but I would rather it be more of a celebration of who I was. I also would like for it to be a celebration of my going home to the Lord.

There are a couple of presuppositions in this idea though. First, I'm assuming that the Bible is true and trustworthy. If it is then I have a great hope for what happens after my body perishes. Second, I'm assuming that I've lived a life worthy of celebration. Sometimes I look around and see how I'm basically just living for myself in some way or another. Sure, I help out Amanda with the kids, but I wonder if it's more about me than her. Yes, I've ministered to others, but I knew that often in my heart it was more of a duty than a delight. Plus, I liked the approval and recognition that came from it.

This started out as a post just to fulfill my commitment to write something almost every day. However, it's turned into some good food for introspective thought. How are you living your life so that it will be looked upon fondly after your death? What legacy are you leaving? Where is your heart as you serve?

1 comment:

rick said...

You're asking if your life makes a difference. If it does you have a legacy. Otherwise you're just forgotten in a short while. But what's in a legacy? Hitler has a terrific legacy, so does Mother Theresa. Perhaps the hitch is in "going home to the Lord." We all want to be remembered fondly and celebrated for how we touched other's lives. That's where the heart of service comes in. If we live for Jesus, we serve. If we serve for him we will impact lives and be celebrated. Our prayer should be that there is a party on earth when we leave and a party in heaven when we get there.