Saturday, March 21, 2009

How Firm a Foundation

Proverbs 1:7
(7) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.


I know that I've written about this many times, but I think it bears repeating. We need to have a firm foundation for our faith. If we let our emotions dictate our beliefs then we are in big trouble. I know that I don't trust my heart very much.

Joshua knew what he was saying:

Joshua 1:7-8
(7) Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go.
(8) This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.


It is so vital that we spend time in Scripture. It has to be the foundation for our faith.

Of course, I also understand that the way we read Scripture has some presuppositions tied to it. There is no getting around that. However, I also think that a plain, straightforward reading of Scripture will guide us in the way we need to go. We may not necessarily understand the winged creatures in Ezekiel or all the imagery in Daniel, but we will still be on the right track. There are plenty of straightforward things in the Bible to keep us busy forever, I think.

Matthew 22:35-40
(35) And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him.
(36) "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"
(37) And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
(38) This is the great and first commandment.
(39) And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
(40) On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."

No comments: