Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Word for Seminarians

1 Timothy 6:20-21
(20) O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called "knowledge,"
(21) for by professing it some have swerved from the faith. Grace be with you.


The more I learn about biblical scholarship the less I am impressed. It seems like some of these guys see everything in the text except what is in the text. The arguments about pseudonymity for some of the Pauline epistles is a good example, in my opinion. If the book of Ephesians starts with a statement that Paul wrote it then that is good enough for me. However, some are not impressed.

I think this gets down to our views on inerrancy. If we think that the Bible is inerrant then some of these discussions are greatly simplified. What does the text say? That question settles many arguments. At least it should, in my opinion.

Obviously some scholarship is good. I wouldn't be in seminary if I thought it had not value. However, I also want to make sure that it is grounded in a high view of inspiration and inerrancy. I particularly want to make sure that I am grounded in the text.

No comments: