Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fanning the Flames

2 Timothy 1:6-7
(6) For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands,
(7) for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.


To me, this looks like an argument for maintaining spiritual disciplines. Paul is exhorting Timothy to take an active role in encouraging the gift he received when Paul laid hands on him. This tells me that we can either fan the flame or quench the Holy Spirit. The flame imagery appears throughout the New Testament, so this seems consistent.

What are you doing to fan the flames? Are you memorizing Scripture? Are you reading Scripture daily? Are you taking the time to pray? Are you praying kingdom prayers or are you focused more on yourself?

I write this as someone who generally practices these things, but who needs an increased zeal. I think of building a fire in the fireplace. Sometimes I have to blow on it to get it going. Now if I blow on it, but don't do it in the right place or with the right intensity then all my blowing will be for nothing. It must be purposeful and done with enough intensity.

No comments: