Monday, March 30, 2009

Training the Next Generation

Titus 2:1-6
(1) But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.
(2) Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness.
(3) Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,
(4) and so train the young women to love their husbands and children,
(5) to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
(6) Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled.


This passage is a beautiful example of what mentoring relationships should look like. It pains me a little bit because I need to have more of these in my life. It also pains me because I am aware of how my pride keeps me from seeing some wise older men as possible mentors for me.

On a more academic note, I am surprised by how many people take this passage to mean that this is all that older women are to do. We know that women are not to be pastors in churches. However, does this passage mean that women should only be doing that? I think that there is still a place for women's Bible studies. Unfortunately, much of it is necessary because the lack of men who step up to lead their homes.

And, sadly enough, that would describe me too. I think Lily is about ready for us to have some kind of family devotion. Maybe we can read through a book of the Bible at dinnertime and talk about what we read. If nothing else, that might help to distract from some of the dinnertime mayhem that sometimes ensues.

No comments: