Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Leaving Ninety-Nine

Luke 15:1-6
(1) Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him.
(2) And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, "This man receives sinners and eats with them."
(3) So he told them this parable:
(4) "What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it?
(5) And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
(6) And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.'


This parable always reminds me of this song. It also reminds me of the heart that I must have for the lost. I run into some people that annoy me because of their caustic personalities. Specifically, I think of people who I know do not love Jesus based on what they have definitely said. And there are some who I've just met and I can't know for sure either way.

What I do know is that every person is a precious child of God and deserves my love. It's not so hard to love people that are likable. However, loving the unlovable takes grace.

I tend to think of myself as pretty likable and even lovable. However, when I take a step back and look at myself in God's economy I realize just how poorly I measure up. I see just how much love it took for God to extend His grace to me. How can I do less with someone else?

No comments: