Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Standard

Proverbs 16:2
(2) All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the spirit.


I have a very easy time seeing my own actions as pure. After all, I wouldn't do something if I didn't think it was the right thing to do at the time. Every action comes from the heart.

Of course, as someone in seminary coming from a purity ministry I am good at doing the right things. I do my homework and strive for excellence in my classes. I generally watch my speech. Overall, my outward appearance is great.

However, the Lord knows my heart. He knows how often I do what I do for the approval of man. He knows how often my heart is not in it when I serve Amanda or take care of something around the house. He knows how often I am keeping score. He knows when I notice a coworker's tardiness, but wink at my own.

And so that drives me back to my knees in prayer. I need Him to change my heart. I still need to keep doing the right things, but I also need to keep beseeching Him for real change.

No comments: