Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cry of the Heart

Psalms 143:7-12
(7) Answer me quickly, O LORD! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit.
(8) Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
(9) Deliver me from my enemies, O LORD! I have fled to you for refuge!
(10) Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!
(11) For your name's sake, O LORD, preserve my life! In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble!
(12) And in your steadfast love you will cut off my enemies, and you will destroy all the adversaries of my soul, for I am your servant.


David was down, but he knew the way out. He knew that the Lord would deliver him. However, he knew that it wasn't for his sake, but "for your name's sake, O LORD."

God does want to bless us with peace. He wants to lift us up out of the pit. Sometimes He leaves us in the pit as a trial to strengthen us. However, ultimately it is all about His glory. We cannot look to God as some sort of self-help tonic. He is God and He is going to do what He is going to do. We cannot change that. David does make it clear that we are to plea for deliverance though.

I certainly have my share of ups and downs, but I know that the Lord will ultimately carry me through for the glory of His name. One of the reasons I blog is because I want to make it clear to anyone who will read this that I see my life as lived for His name's sake. That's often difficult to communicate in day-to-day living, but it is really the message I want to spread.

No comments: