Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Bigger Lesson

Ezekiel 29:13-16
(13) "For thus says the Lord GOD: At the end of forty years I will gather the Egyptians from the peoples among whom they were scattered,
(14) and I will restore the fortunes of Egypt and bring them back to the land of Pathros, the land of their origin, and there they shall be a lowly kingdom.
(15) It shall be the most lowly of the kingdoms, and never again exalt itself above the nations. And I will make them so small that they will never again rule over the nations.
(16) And it shall never again be the reliance of the house of Israel, recalling their iniquity, when they turn to them for aid. Then they will know that I am the Lord GOD."


This is the beginning of a long judgment passage against Egypt. What I find interesting is that Egypt has merited its own punishment for how it has acted. Yet verse 16 shows God's deeper reason for all of this. He wants to remind Israel that He is indeed Yahweh.

There are some like my friend who think that they have God's intentions all figured out from a human perspective. I admit that there are times when He seems random to us and even capricious. It's as if He is pulling the wings off of flies sometimes.

Yet this passage gives me some hope as to why God does what He does. Ultimately it is for the glory of His name and to teach His people. Let's never forget that when we are going through trials or when we see others going through them.

No comments: