Thursday, April 09, 2009

For Whose Sake?

Isaiah 43:25-28
(25) "I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.
(26) Put me in remembrance; let us argue together; set forth your case, that you may be proved right.
(27) Your first father sinned, and your mediators transgressed against me.
(28) Therefore I will profane the princes of the sanctuary, and deliver Jacob to utter destruction and Israel to reviling.


I think we tend to think of Easter as focused on us. I suspect many churches will preach the gospel this weekend with a focus on what Christ's sacrifice means to individuals. Of course, that is definitely a factor. Our fallen nature wonders what is in it for us.

However, this passage shows us why God wiped out sin. He did it for His own sake. This would be incredibly arrogant and narcissistic by human standards, but He alone is worthy of the praise and glory that come from blotting out sins.

As we go into the Easter weekend let's remember that Christ died so that God would be glorified. Yes, it is out of love for His people and it was indeed to redeem us; however, it was foremost for God's sake.

No comments: