Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Who is He?

John 8:58
(58) Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."


It's almost impossible for us to see just how blasphemous this would have seemed to the Pharisees. Basically, He quoted this to them:

Exodus 3:13-14
(13) Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?"
(14) God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"


Jesus was calling Himself God here. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are some "Christian" organizations who try to twist this verse to read "I have been." The Greek could not be any clearer. Jesus was claiming to be God.

Yes, Jesus was a good teacher. Yes, Jesus was kind and gentle. Yes, He was a healer as well. However, if He wasn't truly God then He was a complete nutjob or charlatan. It's the classic CS Lewis choice of Lord, Lunatic, or Liar. You have to choose one.

Which one is He for you?

No comments: