Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Weeping for the Nation

Jeremiah 9:1-2
(1) Oh that my head were waters, and my eyes a fountain of tears, that I might weep day and night for the slain of the daughter of my people!
(2) Oh that I had in the desert a travelers' lodging place, that I might leave my people and go away from them! For they are all adulterers, a company of treacherous men.


This is a very convicting passage for me. I'm not sure that the lostness of my nation really saddens me this much. Of course, America has broken no covenant with God like Israel did. Nevertheless, I think that someone who intends to proclaim the Gospel for a living should be able to relate to this passage at a very deep level.

I am not completely heartless when it comes to America, though. More and more I realize that my passion is to help people find some kind of footing for their faith. The messages I've posted at the Internet Congregation are part of that. It seems to me that honest questions about worldviews will lead to a sincere faith. After all, if the Bible is indeed true then spiritual roads will lead to it, right?

My prayer is to have more of a heart like Jeremiah. I just hope that any ministry I have is more fruitful than his.

2 comments:

rick said...

This is a toughie. Can we as followers of Christ really live it? “Let my heart be broken with the things that break God’s heart” How strongly do we beleive in our mission? How boldly do we act on God's directives? I have to think that today's church is way too interested in the lost coming to them than in them going to the lost. If we as a unified body of Christ -problem #1- SHOWED HIS LOVE (see 1 John:3-4) we'd have no problem telling the lost about Jesus. They'd want to know.

Jason said...

Good point. I know that my willingness (or lack thereof) to bring the gospel to the lost shows where my heart really is on this matter.