Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Christ in the Scriptures

John 5:39-40
(39) You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,
(40) yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.


I was reading Jeremiah 47-49 and wondered if there was anything in there to write about. That passage contains the curses pronounced against various nations and cities. I figured that at the least I could write about God's justice. It may not always come at the time we think it should, but it will come eventually.

Then when I flipped over to John for my reading in the Gospels I came across these verses. Jesus makes the point that the Scriptures point to Him. This got me wondering how that passage in Jeremiah bears witness about Him.

What occurs to me is that the passage in Jeremiah speaks to our need for the cross. We don't really believe this in our hearts, but we deserve the same punishments that were pronounced against Moab, Edom, etc. Yet God's wrath was satisfied at the cross. What a wonderful gift He gave us at the cross!

No comments: