Sunday, April 26, 2009

Prophecy with Care

Ezekiel 13:4-6
(4) Your prophets have been like jackals among ruins, O Israel.
(5) You have not gone up into the breaches, or built up a wall for the house of Israel, that it might stand in battle in the day of the LORD.
(6) They have seen false visions and lying divinations. They say, 'Declares the LORD,' when the LORD has not sent them, and yet they expect him to fulfill their word.


I had a hard time deciding which part to quote. All of chapter 13 is worth reading, especially in the context of parts of today's "church." The Lord has very severe words for those who prophecy falsely in His name. Later on we see:

Ezekiel 13:10-14
(10) Precisely because they have misled my people, saying, 'Peace,' when there is no peace, and because, when the people build a wall, these prophets smear it with whitewash,
(11) say to those who smear it with whitewash that it shall fall! There will be a deluge of rain, and you, O great hailstones, will fall, and a stormy wind break out.
(12) And when the wall falls, will it not be said to you, 'Where is the coating with which you smeared it?'
(13) Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: I will make a stormy wind break out in my wrath, and there shall be a deluge of rain in my anger, and great hailstones in wrath to make a full end.
(14) And I will break down the wall that you have smeared with whitewash, and bring it down to the ground, so that its foundation will be laid bare. When it falls, you shall perish in the midst of it, and you shall know that I am the LORD.


I can't help but think of all the prosperity preachers. I wonder how they're doing now that our country is in a recession? Are we in a recession because we lack faith? Well, we are in a recession and as a people we certainly lack faith. However, I don't think that necessarily implies causality.

My point is that the prosperity gospel is like the weak wall covered in whitewash. It looks good, but it is flimsy and will not withstand a storm. I'd rather base my faith on the Rock that will help me to weather any storm.

No comments: