Saturday, April 11, 2009

Wounded for Us

Isaiah 53:3-6
(3) He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
(4) Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.
(5) But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed.
(6) All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.


It worked out well that this was in my reading for today. This is one of the classic OT prophecies about the coming of Christ. Let's think about how this looks today:

Verse 3 -- It doesn't take too much looking around to see how little esteem the world has for Christ.

Verse 4 -- He came and bore the sorrows for us. Sin no longer has mastery over us because of what He did on the cross. To me, this verse offers great hope for the downtrodden and depressed. It certainly helps me when I'm down.

Verses 5 & 6 -- We all deserve the punishment He received. Yet He took it on for us. I know that I am a sheep who desperately needs the Good Shepherd to keep steering me back to the right course. There are a lot of wolves out there and sometimes I get too close to them. Christ keeps me close where it is safe.

I hope that you marvel at what this passage means as we observe the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ this weekend.

2 comments:

Gary Wood said...

It amazes me that this was written 700 years before Jesus was born! It is one of thr geat OT passages.

Jason said...

Amen to that! This is part of what grounds my faith.