Thursday, April 23, 2009

How to Preach This

Song of Solomon 5:2-6
(2) I slept, but my heart was awake. A sound! My beloved is knocking. "Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my perfect one, for my head is wet with dew, my locks with the drops of the night."
(3) I had put off my garment; how could I put it on? I had bathed my feet; how could I soil them?
(4) My beloved put his hand to the latch, and my heart was thrilled within me.
(5) I arose to open to my beloved, and my hands dripped with myrrh, my fingers with liquid myrrh, on the handles of the bolt.
(6) I opened to my beloved, but my beloved had turned and gone. My soul failed me when he spoke. I sought him, but found him not; I called him, but he gave no answer.


So given all the controversy surrounding the handling of this book lately, what do you do with a passage like this? To me, it looks pretty racy. I won't get into describing what I think it means. Basically, I think of Nuke LaLoosh in his second day with the Durham Bulls, "Limpid jets of love...Crash -- does that mean what I think it means?"

Personally, I think that Song of Songs is best left for smaller settings. I'm not sure that I want to go into explaining what I think this means to Lily right now. I'm not sure that a lot of parents would want to have to explain that sermon to their kids on the way home.

Yet this is in Scripture. We know from 2 Timothy 3:16-17 that this is profitable to learn about. Do you preach this text? If so, what do you do with it?

No comments: