Friday, June 05, 2009

Finding Real Joy

Isaiah 35:10
(10) And the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.


This is something I needed to be reminded of. It's so easy for me to pursue other things for joy. I think that mindless time online will bring me joy. I sometimes look at things (well, people) I have no business looking at because I'm not married to them. I sometimes think that just the right thing will bring me joy.

Everlasting joy comes from the Lord. Why can't I remember that? How is it that I can spend time memorizing Scripture and 5 minutes later find myself drifting off into sin? Why am I so fickle?

I know that I am not alone in this and that is some comfort. I think of the great words of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing"


O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.


That is my prayer. Is it yours?

No comments: