Sunday, June 07, 2009

Looking Out for Number One

Isaiah 39:8
(8) Then said Hezekiah to Isaiah, "The word of the LORD that you have spoken is good." For he thought, "There will be peace and security in my days."


Hezekiah was one of the better kings of Judah. Nevertheless, he still blew it in the end. He was told that he would die shortly, but God gave him another 15 years to live. What did he do with those extra years? One thing he did was show off all the riches of Judah to the Babylonians. Because of this God used Isaiah to tell him that all those riches would end up in Babylon, but it wouldn't be until after he was dead. The verse above is his response.

Sometimes I wonder if we are being that short-sighted with how our government is trying to fix our economy. I also wonder if I have that kind of focus in my day-to-day living. It's so much easier to accept a consequence that will happen in the future. And it is extremely easy to accept a consequence that you will never personally experience.

That's not the kind of legacy I want to leave for my children. I want to live in such a way that they will not have to deal with the repercussions of my actions. I think that is just good stewardship. What do you think?

No comments: