Monday, June 08, 2009

He is Sovereign

Isaiah 40:13-15
(13) Who has measured the Spirit of the LORD, or what man shows him his counsel?
(14) Whom did he consult, and who made him understand? Who taught him the path of justice, and taught him knowledge, and showed him the way of understanding?
(15) Behold, the nations are like a drop from a bucket, and are accounted as the dust on the scales; behold, he takes up the coastlands like fine dust.


I feel very encouraged when I read this as part of my morning reading. God is in charge. No one can contain Him. He is perfectly wise and needs no counsel from anyone. Seemingly insurmountable obstacles like nations at war are nothing to Him. He calls me His son so I don't have to worry.

That sounds great as part of a morning devotional. The problem is that I don't really believe that. I give it mental assent, but the way I live often shows that I don't really buy this. I think that it is my job to work things out. I think that problems are too big for me to handle. I lose sight of the fact that God holds the whole world in His hands.

I'm not sure who is reading this, but I suspect that you can relate. I suspect that you have times where your faith falters a little bit. I want to encourage you to remember this passage. Spend time in the Word to be reminded of just how great and powerful God truly is. Repent of your sins and follow after Christ. He alone will guide us to victory.

No comments: