Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pursuing His Love

Isaiah 62:12
(12) And they shall be called The Holy People, The Redeemed of the LORD; and you shall be called Sought Out, A City Not Forsaken.


One of the failings of English is the word "you." The biblical languages as well as lots of modern languages make a clear distinction between male and female as well as singular and plural. Here in the South we might say, "y'all," but even that can sometimes be used in the singular. It's pretty ambiguous.

Here in the Hebrew the "you" is feminine. That means it refers to Zion. In other words, the Lord will seek out Zion. He will not forsake them, though they will go through times of testing and trouble.

As a Gentile grafted into Israel I am sure glad for this promise. God wouldn't go to the trouble of pursuing me and saving me if He had no plans to keep me. This is of course not a license to sin, but it is very reassuring that my hope is on Christ's righteousness and not my own.

No comments: