Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Who Did This?

Isaiah 42:24-25
(24) Who gave up Jacob to the looter, and Israel to the plunderers? Was it not the LORD, against whom we have sinned, in whose ways they would not walk, and whose law they would not obey?
(25) So he poured on him the heat of his anger and the might of battle; it set him on fire all around, but he did not understand; it burned him up, but he did not take it to heart.


It seems to me that American evangelicalism likes to have the good without the bad. We like to look at God as the one who saves sinners. That is true. However, He is also the one who brings sinners low so that they could repent and believe.

It's not fun to consider this side of God. As I look back on my life I am glad for the times when He has brought me low. I know that I need them to be broken of my own self-reliance. These aren't easy to embrace, but this passage reminds me that I need to.

No comments: