Sunday, June 14, 2009

Keep Reading

Isaiah 46:8-11
(8) "Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors,
(9) remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me,
(10) declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,'
(11) calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.


There are some folks who don't spend much time in the Old Testament. I would maintain that goes against this command. There is value in remembering what God did for His covenant people Israel. It reminds us of His ultimate goodness and His sovereignty.

Personally, when I read Exodus I am encouraged that the same God who freed Israel from Egypt also freed me from bondage to my sins. I am encouraged that the God who used David can use me for His purposes. I am encouraged that God is powerful enough to use Cyrus ("bird of prey from the east") to ultimately restore His people after they sin. If He can do that He can also restore me from mine.

God is indeed an awesome God. There is no one like Him. Spend time reading about all He has done for His people and be encouraged.

No comments: