Monday, June 15, 2009

Turning the Tables

Isaiah 49:22-23
(22) Thus says the Lord GOD: "Behold, I will lift up my hand to the nations, and raise my signal to the peoples; and they shall bring your sons in their bosom, and your daughters shall be carried on their shoulders.
(23) Kings shall be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. With their faces to the ground they shall bow down to you, and lick the dust of your feet. Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame."


I'm not sure that we can really imagine this properly. Think of the President of the United States shining your shoes. Imagine a Middle Eastern dictator bowing at your feet and getting you drinks while you lounge at the pool. It's hard to comprehend, isn't it?

What a metaphor for the riches that we have waiting for us at the end! I don't think that any of my examples will become literally true, but the point is that what seems powerful in the world now will seem very insignificant one day. At that time we will be certain who the Lord of the universe really is.

No comments: