Thursday, June 04, 2009

What do You Love?

Isaiah 33:15-16
(15) He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly, who despises the gain of oppressions, who shakes his hands, lest they hold a bribe, who stops his ears from hearing of bloodshed and shuts his eyes from looking on evil,
(16) he will dwell on the heights; his place of defense will be the fortresses of rocks; his bread will be given him; his water will be sure.


The study note in my ESV Study Bible got me thinking about how this verse applies directly to me today. Certainly I should not tolerate corruption in society. I should despise the gain of oppressions and I should not seek the hearing of bloodshed nor should I want to look on evil.

However, in our society I think that this perhaps has even more application. What kinds of movies am I watching? What do I look for in the news? Do I sanction movies that glorify violence and evil? This is why I've stopped watching James Bond movies. They're fun with the gadgets, the one-liners, and the exotic locales. However, they also glorify sex and violence. As a Christian should I be entertained by that? Probably not.

I've noticed that my pants are getting a little small. They're tighter than they've been in about 6 years. This concerns me because it tells me that I've been letting myself go a little too much. It's a reminder that I need to repent of letting little sins into my life. It seems like the fight against sexual sin is sort of my touchstone. It's when I became serious about the overall pursuit of holiness. This verse reminds me that I need to get serious in all aspects of my life. It's far too easy to slide!

No comments: