Monday, June 01, 2009

Mercy and Justice

Isaiah 29:17-21
(17) Is it not yet a very little while until Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful field, and the fruitful field shall be regarded as a forest?
(18) In that day the deaf shall hear the words of a book, and out of their gloom and darkness the eyes of the blind shall see.
(19) The meek shall obtain fresh joy in the LORD, and the poor among mankind shall exult in the Holy One of Israel.
(20) For the ruthless shall come to nothing and the scoffer cease, and all who watch to do evil shall be cut off,
(21) who by a word make a man out to be an offender, and lay a snare for him who reproves in the gate, and with an empty plea turn aside him who is in the right.


This passage is another one that gives me great hope for the future. First, I see myself in verse 18. I know that I was blind and deaf, but the Lord chose to open my eyes and ears to the truth of His Word. That doesn't mean I always live it perfectly, but it is now my standard for living.

Verse 19 is like a punch in the stomach sometimes. Am I meek? Do I realize my spiritual poverty? Do I see the need for grace in my life? Or am I more like the ruthless and scoffer of verse 20? Frankly, I'm more like that than I want to admit.

On many levels my life is cruising right now. My class is going well. Everyone is healthy. The weather is beautiful. Work is going well. However, I also know that things could be better. I don't treat my wife and children the way I should all the time. I am not particularly tender or affectionate. I am painfully aware of how selfish I am at my core. I still desperately need grace.

Where are you today? Do you realize your poverty of spirit? If so, what are you doing about it? I pray that all who read this would call out to Christ for the grace needed to live a life that glorifies Him.

No comments: