Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Active Sanctification

Psalms 119:33-40
(33) He. Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end.
(34) Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
(35) Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.
(36) Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!
(37) Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways.
(38) Confirm to your servant your promise, that you may be feared.
(39) Turn away the reproach that I dread, for your rules are good.
(40) Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!


Look at the prayers of this Psalm. The Psalmist keeps asking for God to change his heart. He asks that the Lord teach him the way of His statutes. He asks that God give him understanding so that he can keep the law. Verses 36 and 37 are particularly powerful for me. He asks that God incline his heart to His testimonies and that God turn his eyes from looking at worthless things.

As we approach the holiday season I am struck by how badly I need verse 37. There is so much temptation for me to look at the worthless things of this world in the form of video games and other stuff. I'm glad not to have TV so I don't know what is out there for the coveting. I don't want much of the world and I need to keep reminding myself of that fact. Otherwise my eyes will begin to covet what I don't really want or need.

Let's remember that His rules are good and that He ultimately will satisfy us, amen?

No comments: