Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thirsting for Righteousness

Psalms 119:169-176
(169) Taw. Let my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word!
(170) Let my plea come before you; deliver me according to your word.
(171) My lips will pour forth praise, for you teach me your statutes.
(172) My tongue will sing of your word, for all your commandments are right.
(173) Let your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts.
(174) I long for your salvation, O LORD, and your law is my delight.
(175) Let my soul live and praise you, and let your rules help me.
(176) I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget your commandments.


I love how this prayer wraps up this Psalm, don't you? The Psalmist truly hungers and thirst for righteousness. He understands that do what he needs to do on his own so he prays for the strength to carry it out. To me, it looks like he chose God's way of doing things, but he understands his complete inability to do what he needs to do. Yet He trusts that God's zeal for His glory will motivate Him to help with doing what he needs to do.

This should give any Christian tremendous hope. This is truly what our lives in Christ are like. When we say that we want for Christ to be the Lord of our lives we are saying that we are choosing God's precepts. However, we still need to pursue righteousness and we can only do that through God's grace in our lives.

Doesn't verse 176 remind you of 1 Peter 2:25? Let's be glad for our Good Shepherd that brings us back to the fold, amen?

No comments: