Sunday, November 09, 2008

THE Psalm

I understand that Martin Luther referred to Romans as "the book." I would call Psalm 119 "the Psalm." I'm excited that I'm back to it in my reading plan. I read through it all in one sitting this morning and, as always, I found it to be a blessing. I plan to post some thoughts on it as I go through it stanza by stanza for the next few weeks. Here are some from the first two:

Psalms 119:4-5
(4) You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.
(5) Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!


This is pretty much my prayer every morning. I know that I cannot keep all His statutes, but I also know that I have been commanded to keep them. I need grace to be steadfast in keeping them. In fact, as I prayed this morning I realized just how many times I go back to asking God for the grace to obey Him. I have seen what my own efforts bring and it isn't pretty.

Psalms 119:9-16
(9) Beth. How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.
(10) With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!
(11) I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
(12) Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes!
(13) With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth.
(14) In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches.
(15) I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.
(16) I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.


Sorry to post the whole stanza, but it is just so rich with application. This tells me that it is vital to spend regular time in the Word. We simply cannot live properly if we don't. It also tells me that we are to preach the Word. I am to declare "all the rules of your mouth" once I learn them.

Verses 14-16 are where it really gets heavy. Do I really delight in the way of His testimonies as much as I would in all riches? Do I really meditate on His precepts and fix my eyes on His ways? Do I delight in His statutes?

I do make it a point to memorize Scripture and I think that verse 16 is a ringing endorsement for that practice. Are we making a point to put God's Word in our hearts through memorizing it?

I hope that you enjoy walking through this precious psalm with me. Psalm 119 is one of those touchstones for me. I go there when I need reminders of assurance. It points me back to Scripture by using Scripture. I guess that could be seen as a circular argument, but it works for me. I hope that we are all greatly challenged and transformed by this Psalm as it entreats us to take in the whole counsel of God.

No comments: