Monday, November 24, 2008

Longing for the Law

Psalms 119:129-136
(129) Pe. Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them.
(130) The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.
(131) I open my mouth and pant, because I long for your commandments.
(132) Turn to me and be gracious to me, as is your way with those who love your name.
(133) Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me.
(134) Redeem me from man's oppression, that I may keep your precepts.
(135) Make your face shine upon your servant, and teach me your statutes.
(136) My eyes shed streams of tears, because people do not keep your law.


Look at how earnestly the Psalmist desires to know God's Word. His soul keeps God's testimonies because they are wonderful. He opens his mouth and pants because of his deep longing for God's commandments. He prays that he would be redeemed from man's oppression. Normally we pray that for our own sake, but he does it so that he might be able to keep God's precepts. Finally, he cries streams of tears because there are people who do not keep God's law.

As someone on the track to ministry, this is very convicting. While I do spend more time than most reading the Bible I think it is a stretch to say that my earnestness matches this Psalmist's. More time than most doesn't necessarily equal an adequate amount of time. Nor is the quality necessarily what it should be. Frankly, I just got through my reading today and I didn't really wrestle with the text, despite some serious questions that Ezekiel 18 brings out for me.

I like the promise of verse 130. I feel simple and in need of understanding. Isn't it great that we can talk to the Author about what He meant?

No comments: