Sunday, November 23, 2008

Osteen?

Psalms 119:121-128
(121) Ayin. I have done what is just and right; do not leave me to my oppressors.
(122) Give your servant a pledge of good; let not the insolent oppress me.
(123) My eyes long for your salvation and for the fulfillment of your righteous promise.
(124) Deal with your servant according to your steadfast love, and teach me your statutes.
(125) I am your servant; give me understanding, that I may know your testimonies!
(126) It is time for the LORD to act, for your law has been broken.
(127) Therefore I love your commandments above gold, above fine gold.
(128) Therefore I consider all your precepts to be right; I hate every false way.


Verses 121-122 almost suggest a sort of prosperity theology. God, I've done what is right so please set me free from the oppression around me. If we take this stanza completely out of context we may reach that conclusion.

However, we've already established that there is value in affliction. I don't think that this stanza teaches us that we should expect complete deliverance from persecution if we are in Christ. So what does this stanza mean?

I think the end really shows us what this is all about. There is persecution coming from those who do not know the Word nor love it. As a result of this the Psalmist has seen the value of loving the Word more than anything else. Moreover, he also considers everything in the Word to be right. The correct attitude is fostered in verses 124-125. The Psalmist shows his complete submission to whatever God has in store for him. He prays for deliverance, but he also accepts that there are those who do not love the Word and will seek to do him harm.

In other words, I don't think that this stanza or any other passage taken in its context can support the "gospel" preached by men like Joel Osteen.

No comments: