Saturday, November 15, 2008

Is He Enough?

Psalms 119:57-64
(57) Heth. The LORD is my portion; I promise to keep your words.
(58) I entreat your favor with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
(59) When I think on my ways, I turn my feet to your testimonies;
(60) I hasten and do not delay to keep your commandments.
(61) Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me, I do not forget your law.
(62) At midnight I rise to praise you, because of your righteous rules.
(63) I am a companion of all who fear you, of those who keep your precepts.
(64) The earth, O LORD, is full of your steadfast love; teach me your statutes!


I think that there is a misunderstanding about the nature of joy in the Lord. We tend to think of our time as compartmentalized between "God stuff" and "our stuff." We think that we have to remove any expectation of fun when we are about the business of God. We certainly can't have fun when we read the Bible, pray, go to church, etc.

This Psalm tells us to change that attitude. The Lord is our portion. That means that He gives us what we need. Verse 62 seems particularly powerful to me. The Psalmist loves the Lord and His Word so much that he would rise in the middle of the night to praise Him. How often do we do that?

I know that personally I let myself get distracted too easily. I'm always on the lookout for some pursuit that might entertain me. Maybe it's a video game. Maybe it's a book. Maybe it's some hobby. Now I think that entertainment has its place, but I also think that this Psalm tells us that God truly does satisfy that longing in our hearts. Let's be sure to go to Him for that satisfaction.

No comments: