Wednesday, November 19, 2008

That Which Endures

Psalms 119:89-96
(89) Lamedh. Forever, O LORD, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens.
(90) Your faithfulness endures to all generations; you have established the earth, and it stands fast.
(91) By your appointment they stand this day, for all things are your servants.
(92) If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.
(93) I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life.
(94) I am yours; save me, for I have sought your precepts.
(95) The wicked lie in wait to destroy me, but I consider your testimonies.
(96) I have seen a limit to all perfection, but your commandment is exceedingly broad.


Look at what lasts forever here. God's Word is firmly fixed forever. Verse 92 repeats a theme we've seen for the past few days -- God's Word is what gets us through affliction.

What do we know so far?
  • We can trust God's Word
  • We need to delight in God's Word
  • Affliction is good for us
  • The only way to get through affliction is by trusting in God's Word
We still have another week or so to go with this Psalm. I hope that you don't get too bored with this repeated theme, but if you stick with it I think that you will have no choice but to either acknowledge the supreme importance of Scripture or just toss the thing out altogether.

By the way, don't verses 90 and 91 remind you of:

Colossians 1:16-17
(16) For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him.
(17) And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.


This shows us that God's common grace holds all things together. Make sure you know Him before everything falls apart.

No comments: