Friday, November 28, 2008

Exposed to the Light

Psalms 119:161-168
(161) Sin and Shin. Princes persecute me without cause, but my heart stands in awe of your words.
(162) I rejoice at your word like one who finds great spoil.
(163) I hate and abhor falsehood, but I love your law.
(164) Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous rules.
(165) Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.
(166) I hope for your salvation, O LORD, and I do your commandments.
(167) My soul keeps your testimonies; I love them exceedingly.
(168) I keep your precepts and testimonies, for all my ways are before you.


We're almost there. Tomorrow is the last stanza in this psalm. I hope that you have enjoyed this as much as I have.

Verse 168 speaks to something that is difficult for me. The Psalmist confidently lays all his ways before the Lord. He is able to do that because his soul keeps the Lord's testimonies and he loves them exceedingly. He knows that he has great peace because of his love for the Law. He hates and abhors falsehood, so he has nothing to worry about as he lays himself bare before the Lord.

Can you do that? I can't. I rejoice at the blood of Christ that washes my sins away. I think of the second glances I give women sometimes. I think of the times when I eat just because I feel like eating. I think of the times when I am lazy. And so on.

Let's rejoice at the grace that makes us righteous before the throne of the Lord, amen?

No comments: