Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Being Righteous

Psalms 119:137-144
(137) Tsadhe. Righteous are you, O LORD, and right are your rules.
(138) You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness and in all faithfulness.
(139) My zeal consumes me, because my foes forget your words.
(140) Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it.
(141) I am small and despised, yet I do not forget your precepts.
(142) Your righteousness is righteous forever, and your law is true.
(143) Trouble and anguish have found me out, but your commandments are my delight.
(144) Your testimonies are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live.


God is the standard for what is right. This may seem kind of obvious, but do we really live as if we believe that? This means that God's Word is the standard for what is right in our lives. It also means that everything He does is truly good, even if it doesn't seem that way at the time.

I envy the faith described by the Psalmist throughout this magnificent Psalm. Do I have a consuming zeal for God's Word? Do I remember His precepts at all times? Are His commandments my delight?

Unfortunately, the answer to all of those questions is a fairly resounding "no." However, this Psalm also encourages me to pray that God would shape me into someone for whom the answers are "yes," which is what I do daily.

No comments: