Thursday, November 20, 2008

Being Hermione

Psalms 119:97-104
(97) Mem. Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.
(98) Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me.
(99) I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation.
(100) I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts.
(101) I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word.
(102) I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me.
(103) How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
(104) Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.


Apparently it's OK to have a desire to have more wisdom than other people. I don't think that this is meant to be in a way that puffs up ourselves, but it looks to be like the Psalmist is glad for how the wisdom and understanding he enjoys surpasses that of others.

It's clearly vital that we go to God's Word for the understanding we need. This is what will lead us to hate every false way. How can we hate those false ways unless we know what they look like? We also need to know what the correct ways look like too. That happens from meditating on God's Word.

No comments: